Revd Dr Kirsty Thorpe
Kirsty Thorpe has a BA (Oxford), BD (Wales), MTh (London), and PhD (Manchester). She began her working life as a journalist and was then a work experience supervisor for young people. She felt called to the ministry and in 2000 was ordained and inducted to the URC/Methodist Church in Malpas. In 2003 she moved to the pastorate of Deane with St Andrew and St George in Bolton. She was inducted to the pastorate of Morley Green and Wilmslow in September 2008. At the URC General Assembly in July 2008 Kirsty was elected co-moderator of General Assembly for 2010 to 2012. Kirsty is married to the Revd Martin Smith, who is also a URC minister now serving two Moravian churches in Oldham. She has two adult sons and five grandchildren.
Major decisions are the responsibility of our Church Meeting. Any one who worships regularly with us is invited to attend and speak. Only members may vote, however. We have currently 172 members. Our Church Meetings are held quarterly, after the Sunday morning service.
We have four Church Officers – Church Secretary, Church Treasurer, Deputy Church Secretary (Admin), Deputy Church Treasurer. All are appointed to the position annually.
The leadership of our church is exercised by the Minister working with a team of Elders who are elected annually by the Church Meeting.
Our Church provides Pastoral Support through informal friendships and through a network of Pastoral Elders and volunteers. We seek to meet the needs of members and others closely associated with the church in ways appropriate to their individual circumstances.
We organise our life together through a number of teams, as follows:
- The Worship Team oversees all aspects of worship in the church.
- The Finance Team oversees the financial status and control of our church funds.
- The Administration Team ensures that the administrative and support activities required for the smooth running of our church are available.
- The Property Team ensures that the church, halls and manse buildings are maintained.
- The Outreach Team looks to develop our relationship with the people of Wilmslow and the wider community.