Our Buildings’ Story 1844 – 1899
William Crease, a 34 year old Scot from Stirling, trained for the ministry of the United Presbyterian Church in Scotland, comes to Wilmslow on the recommendation of Rev. J.W. Massie of Salford. He stays with a local schoolmaster Thomas Somerville. The Band Room in Grove Street is hired. The initial congregation is four – Thomas Somerville and his wife and a local farmer John Bentley and his wife.
William Crease is ordained to the Congregational Ministry. Thomas Somerville starts a Sunday School.
John Jenkins, the 27 year old Lord of the Manor of Fulshaw, donates a portion of land at the junction of the Turnpike Road to Congleton and the lane to Mobberley for the use of the church. In June the foundation stone of the church is laid.
The church, to be known as Fulshaw Chapel, is opened, a rectangular building in thirteenth century Gothic style.
A Day School is established.
The Large Hall is built to hold the Day School. There is a partition in the centre to separate boys from girls. The Infants Department meets in the rooms beneath the church.
The church is enlarged with an apse and transepts to the North and South, complete with galleries.
A new building to house the cause at Morley Green is opened.
A garden with a quickset hedge is laid out. A porch is built on the church.
A pipe organ is bought to replace the harmonium.
The Junior Hall is built and the building at Morley Green is enlarged.
The Day School becomes a Higher Grade School.
An evening school is established to extend the work in the direction of technical studies.
Our Buildings’ Story 1900 – 1949
The church is to be known as Wilmslow Congregational Church.
The Day School closes and the children transfer to the village school.
Alterations to the halls and the area under the church are opened.
A memorial to the ten men of the church who did not return from the World War is unveiled.
A new organ is purchased.
New conditions are agreed for the Members of Wilmslow Congregational Church worshipping at Morley Green.
A memorial to the six men of the church who lost their lives in World War II is unveiled. A lamp, modelled on the Octagon Tower of Ely Cathedral is suspended above the Communion Table.
Our Buildings’ Story 1950-
The old kitchen and other rooms are demolished, and two large classrooms, a new kitchen, and toilets are built.
A new system of lighting is installed in the church and a Cross is erected in the apse as a focus for worship.
A set of stained glass windows representing the Cross , wheat and the vine are dedicated in memory of Mr. H.H.Catterall.
The congregation at Morley becomes an independent church. The United Reformed Church is formed by Act of Parliament and both churches become members of it.
A fire breaks out in the basement. The church is closed for redecoration and refurbishment.
A new vestibule is built on the Alderley Road frontage of the church. The side gallery is re-raked.
A computer organ is purchased and the space previously occupied by the old organ converted to provide more pews.
A new vestibule is added to the halls, and the kitchen and toilets are upgraded. New lighting is installed in the church.
The two main halls are re-roofed and linked by two sets of double doors.
Major refurbishment. Pews are replaced by chairs, dais redesigned, heating replaced and sanctuary redecorated. Small kitchen and servery and disabled toilet installed in vestibule.
Morley Green church closes.
Our Former Ministers
1846-1849 William Crease
1850-1864 Samuel Ellis
1866-1878 Watson Smith
1880-1887 Stuart Reid
1889-1902 J. Brunton Aitken
1904-1920 Horace W. Turner
1920-1936 Lewis H. Gaunt
1936-1942 Harold G. Newsham
1943-1948 Walter C. Lazenby
1949-1960 C. Anthony Neeve
1961-1968 J. Ian Y. Sharpe
1969-1974 Robert W. Courtney
1974-1993 Frederick A. Noden
1994-1998 Stuart A. Bidmead
1998-1999 John Houston
1999-2006 David Jenkins